Achieving your goals is rarely ever an easy journey. If it were easy, you know the saying, “everyone would be doing it.” One of the most important keys to success is, without a doubt, perseverance. With improved perseverance you will have that extra push from within to try, and to try again.
People have the tendency to want to control everything. Since there are always situations that cannot be controlled, suffering occurs. Unfortunately, this suffering can’t be escaped. Your goal should never be to avoid mistakes at any costs and seek control. Your goal must shift to strengthen your perseverance by effectively dealing with the situation when things go awry.
Here are a few strategies that will help you strengthen your perseverance:
1. Never Give Up. When you have an ultimate goal, you owe it to yourself to completely follow through. There are going to be plenty of bumps in the road. Do not let any of these bumps bring you down for good. Always be seeking new ways of approaching problems.
2. Seek Out the Positive. When things have become overwhelmingly negative for you, seek out the positive things in your life. You might want to surround yourself with loved ones or watch positive movies. You definitely want to seek out situations that will boost your optimism and enthusiasm.
3. Take Action and then, Take Responsibility. Do whatever you can to inspire yourself to take bold actions toward your goal. Fight the urge to procrastinate or settle for less. As we have talked about the last few days, thinking about your goals is simply not enough. See: Get the Lead Out! Stop Planning and Start Doing, How to Clarify Your Goals, and Take Small Steps to get to Big Goals. You must begin somewhere in order to get yourself to where you wish to be. You cannot wait for some sign or higher power to get you to where you want to go, you must be willing to take action!
4. Get Help When Needed. Be wise enough to know when a situation warrants help from others. You do not need to take every single thing into your own hands. Instead, choose to follow advice from the people you trust or experts in your chosen field. Flat out ask them how they have maintained the drive to keep going.
5. Know Your True Self. Knowing yourself and having organized thoughts can improve your perseverance. When you know where you are headed, and the steps you need to take to get there, half the battle has already been won. This is why you need to make time for self-reflection. Know the true ins and outs of what you want and exactly why you want it.
6. Break Your Bad Habits. Do everything in your power to put a stop to bad habits. If there are certain behaviors that you have identified that are keeping you from achieving your goals, you need to get rid of them. This could be negative thinking or you might be fighting procrastination. When you concentrate on each bad habit individually, you will be better able to deal with the problems that may exist.
7. Concentrate on Stress Management. Stress management and your level of perseverance are definitely related. When stress overwhelms you, it clouds your current thinking and brings on negativity. Your perseverance will not be able to flourish in a negative environment. You must first conquer any problems you have with stress so that you will be better able to reach your goals.
Step By Step
Perseverance is likely already a part of your life. You just need to dig a little deeper, bring it to the forefront and strengthen its existence. It all boils down to the power of thought. When you think you can, you will. When you think you can’t, you won’t.